Family Volunteer Day
Family Volunteer Day Nov. 19
Join United Way's Volunteer Center for its Fifth Annual Family Volunteer Day on Saturday, November 19 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Hamilton Place Mall.
What is Family Volunteer Day?
Family Volunteer Day is a Points of Light signature day of service, created 25 years ago, that demonstrates and celebrates the power of families who volunteer together, supporting their neighborhoods, communities and the world. It is held on the Saturday before Thanksgiving to:
- “Kick Off” the holiday season with giving and service;
- signal the start of National Family Week (sponsored by the Alliance for Children and Families and the Annie E. Casey Foundation); and
- showcase the benefits of family volunteering and provides opportunities for families to work together to help communities create supportive environments for their children.
Bring your family to the Center Stage on the lower level – right across from Santa – where there will be several projects available that you and your kids can make together. These activities are simple to do but can make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. Some projects children will be able to make for others are:
- Christmas Gift Bags: volunteers will make 1,000 Christmas gift bags for kids in need , to be distributed through East Brainerd Church of Christ’s snack pack program;
- Holiday Cards for Heroes: Volunteers will work with the American Red Cross to create letters to deployed service men and women to show them support for their service to our country; and
- Friendship Bracelets: Volunteers will make Friendship bracelets for kids in foster care with the Partnership for Families, Children and Adults.
Family Volunteering has so many benefits. Given today’s hectic schedules, it’s a great way for families to spend time together while getting out into the community and meeting new people. It’s the perfect opportunity for parents to spend time with their kids, because volunteering is ripe with “teachable” moments. Families can also share information and knowledge while volunteering, and it’s a good way to fill those scholastic “community hours” obligations. It's also a good opportunity for kids to start developing leadership skills.
Here in Chattanooga, Family Volunteer Day is funded by a grant provided by generationOn with the generous support and sponsorship of The Walt Disney Company. And our local Publix stores will join us again to provide snacks and goodies for all volunteers!
For more information about Family Volunteer Day and how your family can be involved, call the Volunteer Center at 423-752-0316. To register to volunteer, go to iHelpChattanooga.org.